X Windows: Remote X to Windows with Xming
1) Install Xming and Xming-fonts
* Download from sourceforge.net/projects/xming
2) Add the Linux machine's DNS name(s) and IP address to the C:\Program Files\xming\X0.hosts file. File should contain:
LinuxBox.mydomain.com LinuxBox 192.168.1.25
3) Start Xming on your Windows machine (NOT XLaunch)
4) Start the connection: Connect to the Linux machine via ssh/telnet/rlogin/whatever and run:
DISPLAY=WINDOWS_IP:0;export DISPLAY;APPLICATION_YOU_WANT_TO_RUN EXAMPLE: DISPLAY=192.168.1.10:0;export DISPLAY;xterm
Minimize the telnet session, do not close it. If you close it, your OV connection will close.
PROBLEM: "Xlib: connection to YOUR_IP refused by server"
FIX: Check the Xming log, it probably contains "Xming.exe: client 4 rejected from IP YOUR_IP". If so,
- close Xming
- Make sure that the DNS names and/or IPs are in the C:\Program Files\xming\X0.hosts file
- restart Xming
FIX2: If problem is not fixed, restart Xming with the -ac option.
PROBLEM: Map starts but then I get a font error from OpenView.
FIX: Install the Xming-fonts onto your Windows box.
PROBLEM: When starting Xming, a Windows Security Alert pops up saying Windows Firewall has blocked this program.
FIX: Change Windows Firewall setting to allow Xming.
FIX2: Disable Windows Firewall by going to Services, setting Windows Firewall to MANUAL START and then stop the service.
PROBLEM: Cannot connect to Xming and I have checked all of the above.
FIX: When starting Xming as display 0, Windows Firewall does not complain. Check to see if Windows Firewall is blocking the connection.